Sunday, July 10, 2011

Call For Love Devotion - July 10: WWMD?

Siedah Garrett tells the story of looking into her rearview mirror one day and noticing the “woman in the mirror,” which gave her the idea for the song Man in the Mirror. In thinking about the topic for this week, I know I have to look in the mirror and think HARD about how to change myself so I can do the things I have to do with LOVE.
I have a meeting coming soon, that I am not looking forward to. The old “dragon-slayer” in me keeps wanting to rear its ugly head. How can I “gently” slay a dragon? Even if it really needs to die a horrid, bloody, and painful death?
All kinds of platitudes come rushing into my head: everything from “A soft answer turneth away wrath,” to “you catch more flies with sugar than you do with salt.” (who actually wants to catch flies anyway?!) “Don’t burn your bridges.” The “ethic of reciprocity” exists in some form in religions the world over: Do unto others as you’d have them do unto you.
One of the best gifts we have been given is TII, where we actually get to see Michael “at work,” doing the dirty “nuts and bolts” stuff of putting together a concert. Papers have been written, analyzing (and recommending) Michael’s leadership behaviors and style.
OK, I get the message. But how to put it into action? It’s so easy to say, harder for me to do. I have to think of the power of my thoughts. I *can* change my thoughts about this experience. About the dragon. Maybe it’s not a fire-breathing dragon after all. Maybe it’s a gnat. Or maybe it’s an experience, a gift designed to help me grow, to be a better person, to further develop my talents, and those of the others involved. And maybe if I take the focus off of myself and put it on the others in the situation, I can approach this, and other similar opportunities, with the appropriate attitude: One that conveys the LOVE I know I am called to share and to BE.

by Diana Foley
Copyright (c) 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment